Parents are cordially invited to visit camp on the weekend of July 12-14. The back gates will open to our guests on Friday afternoon at 3pm.
At 3:30pm, we will have all campers, parents and staff meet at our Center Fire Circle for a brief introduction to Chippewa and Visiting Weekend.
Throughout the afternoon our baker will be presenting a large variety of baked goods, pastries and other refreshments beneath our hospitality tent on the north field. The field will also feature games, craft activities and other special booths providing useful information and additional entertainment!
A Traditional CRC Campfire
At about 4:00pm, we will be offering a modified version of our traditional Friday Night Campfire. As is typical for our Friday Night Campfires, the program will include participation from many campers. Cliff will play some guitar, and our camper choir (The CRSingers) will perform just as they do throughout the summer. We will conclude the campfire with a Keylog Ceremony and the singing of the Chippewa Creed.
NOTE- This program is of course optional, but we ask that anyone choosing to attend offer the courtesy of their undivided attention, and that they be prepared to shut off cell phones and other noisy electronic devices. If an iPad is required for the entertainment of younger children, then perhaps the campfire is not a good fit! Please refrain from bringing such devices to the Fire Circle.
By 6:00pm all camp activities will have concluded and everyone (including campers) will be asked to depart for the evening.
NOTE- Our entire staff will be off duty on Friday evening to enjoy some well deserved rest and relaxation. Every camper will need to be in the care of a parent or another approved guardian during this time. There will be no camper supervision available, so please make arrangements accordingly.
Back to Camp for Signup Activities (optional):
Families are welcome to return to camp on Saturday at 9:30am. Upon arrival, various signup activities will be open to our campers so that their family members can see them in action! Instructions and additional information regarding this portion of the weekend will be made available at a later date.
The Big BBQ
Our famous BBQ lunch service will begin at 11:30am (rain or shine), and there will be plenty of seating for all of our guests.The food is great, and we love showing off what our chefs are serving up throughout the summer (plus a few delicious extras in honor of visiting weekend)!
By 1pm, all camp activities will have concluded, and everyone (including campers) will once again be asked to depart for the evening. Similar to Friday night, there will be no staff supervision provided, so please plan accordingly.
On Sunday morning we ask that campers are dropped off based on the schedule below. Families can once again enter through the back gate, slowly advancing through camp to the Top of the Hill by the direction of our parking & traffic control team.
NOTE- Safety at Chippewa is our number one concern. Cars must follow route instructions specifically as directed, and we ask that campers and their family members remain in their vehicles throughout this route.
Sunday Drop-off times:
10am-10:30am- Second session campers arrive
10:45am-11:30am- Eight week campers arrive
Some Additional Visiting Weekend Notes:
- We ask that no food be brought into camp at all during Visiting Weekend. A number of our campers present with allergy or dietary restrictions, and food that has not been cleared by our Kitchen Manager is strictly prohibited. We will provide authorized treats for a first night bonding party on the Sunday evening of visiting weekend. Our campers are always happy with the items offered.
- Please remember that one of the most important benefits that Chippewa can provide to your daughter is a long and healthy break from technology and social media. We know that many of our campers are going to want to have access to these forms of entertainment during visiting weekend, but we have very strict rules regarding technology and “screens,” and we ask that our visiting families comply with those rules accordingly. Put simply, these items may not be used in camp at all (by campers) during any portion of visiting weekend. We ask that parents wait until they and their camper are in the car or back at the hotel before phones and other electronics are handed out. Parents are of course welcome to use their own devices per usual, but our campers are still expected to follow the rules of camp. Cliff will discuss this with the camp community prior to visiting weekend, and he will make clear that there will be no exceptions to this policy. As always, no screen devices can be left with a campers following visiting weekend. The rules and consequences from last summer still apply. NO CAMPER should be left with a prohibited electronic device, but campers in Trailriders and Lakeview will not be offered a spot at camp in 2020 should it be discovered that this technology policy was violated. There will be absolutely no exceptions made should this occur.
- We are very excited about visiting weekend, but we also know that this new format could be complicated for some of our campers. Having that extra night with family should be a lot of fun for everyone, and it will certainly make the long haul up to northern Wisconsin that much more gratifying for parents and family members. For some girls, however, this new arrangement could produce a heightened level of intensity during the Sunday drop off and departure process. Please know that we will absolutely be ready for this, and our staff will manage the transition so that things flow as smoothly and efficiently as possible. We certainly do not anticipate this to be much of an issue, but parents should weigh out the value of discussing this with their daughter in advance, so that she understands how this new visiting weekend procedure will work. We look forward to seeing everyone this summer!
Below is a list of motels most frequently used by parents of Chippewa campers. Reservations should be made in advance.
Transportation & Bus Schedule
- Days Inn ( Eagle River) – (715) 479-5151
- American Heritage Inn ( Eagle River ) – (800) 369-8021
- Super 8 ( Eagle River) – (715) 477-0888
- Derby Inn (Best Western) ( Eagle River ) – (715) 479-1600
- Eagle River Inn ( Eagle River) – (715) 479-2000
- White Eagle Motel ( Eagle River) – (715) 479-4426
- Hearthside Inn ( St. Germain ) – (715) 479-2500
- North Woods Rest Motel ( St. Germain ) – (715) 479-8770
- Rustic Manor Motel ( St. Germain ) – (715) 479-9776
- Whitetail Lodge ( St. Germain ) – (715) 542-2578
- Oneida Village Motel ( Three Lakes ) – (715) 546-3373
- Claridge Motor Inn/Best Western ( Rhinelander ) – (715) 362-7100
- The AmericInn ( Rhinelander ) – (715) 369-9600
- The Comfort inn ( Rhinelander ) – (715) 369-1100
- Holiday Inn ( Rhinelander ) – (715) 369-3600
- The AmericInn ( Minocqua ) – (715) 356-3730
- Comfort Inn ( Minocqua ) – (715) 358-2588
- The New Concord Inn ( Minocqua ) – (715) 356-1800
- Lakeview Motel ( Minocqua ) – (715) 356-5208
- Northwoods Inn ( Minocqua ) – (715) 356-9541
- The Waters ( Minocqua ) – (715) 358-4000
- The Pointe ( Minocqua ) – (715) 356-4431